New York, NY — April, 2021
La Unidad Latina Recognizes and Supports Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention Month
As part of our continued commitment to ensuring increased awareness and prevention of sexual assault, and to foster and advocate for safe spaces, we are sharing tools and resources for Sexual Assault and Awareness Month (SAAM). Please join our organization and chapters in various social and virtual activities provided by subject matter experts.
RAINN has created some great resources to show support for survivors of sexual violence in recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month (#SAAPM). Visit SAAPM 2021 for details on the following:
- #ConsentRULES: Review and share the 5 rules for obtaining, confirming and honoring consent.
- RAINN Day (April 8): Tips for planning a virtual event and other ideas.
- Denim Day (April 28): Wear denim as a symbol of believing survivors and asserting that consent has nothing to do with clothing. #DenimDay
- Social Media Toolkit: Guidance on how to use social media to spread important messages about consent and health for survivors. RAINN also has filters and stickers for Instagram and Snapchat, and a TikTok Challenge coming soon.
The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)is another resource. For April, their theme is focused on building safe online spaces. They have a wealth of information and resources on how you can Get Involved in SAAM. One activity is the SAAM Day of Action:
- SAAM Day of Action (April 6): Wear teal to show support for survivors of sexual harassment and abuse
If you are looking for support, information, advice or a referral, a trained support specialist can be reached immediately through RAINN’s online chat. You can also call the National Sexual Assault Hotline to talk to a trained staff member from your local sexual assault service provider 800.656.HOPE (4673). If you are in immediate danger, call 911.